Hawaii is one of only twenty-three states that require optician licensing by law. Rules and regulations regarding optician training requirements, licensing, and certification are established by the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. The following information will be relevant to you if you are wanting to be licensed as an optician in the state of Hawaii.
Hawaii State Opticianry Law:
An individual shall be licensed as a dispensing optician to engage in the occupation of dispensing optician.
Technical Skills and Training Requirements:
Must have one of the following
- The equivalent of a high school education and two years of opticianry work experience
- Graduation from an opticianry course accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation
- A current and valid license as a dispensing optician in another state or territory of the United States and passage of national examinations
- The National Opticianry Competency Examination administered by the American Board of Opticianry
- The National Contact Lens Registry Examination administered by the National Contact Lens Examiners
- A nationally standardized practical examination
- A grade of 75 or greater is considered passing
Any applicant who has previously passed both the National Opticianry Competency Examination and the National Contact Lens Registry Examination in a state or territory of the United States will not be required to retake these examinations provided that the applicant’s passing scores have been certified.
Licensure by Reciprocity:
Hawaii does NOT reciprocate with any other state or country. All applicants must meet the requirements set forth in the State of Hawaii dispensing opticians statutes and rules.
Fees and Forms:
- Dispensing Optician Licensure Application, $20
- License Fee, $20
- Compliance Resolution Fund
- July 1 of an even year – June 30 of an odd year, $70
- July 1 of an odd year – June 30 of an even year, $35
- Additional fee for July 1 of an even year – June 30 of an odd year, $50
State Contact Information:
Phone: (808) 586-3000
PO Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801